Appendix is a finger-shaped pouch protruding from the large intestine on the lower right side of your stomach.
Appendicitis is defined as an inflammation of the inner lining of the vermiform appendix that spreads to its other parts.
This condition is a common and urgent surgical illness.
What is the function ???
- The appendixis a blind-ended tube connected to the cecum, from which it develops embryologically. The cecum is a pouchlike structure of the colon, located at the junction of the small and the large intestines.
- The appendix can vary in length from <1 cm to >30 cm; most appendices are 6 to 9 cm long.
Causes and Risk Factor
Obstruction of the lumen is the dominant etiologic factor in acute appendicitis.
Blockage Leftover food or stubborn dirt can get stuck in a hole
in the abdominal cavity that fills your appendix
Infection Appendicitis may also be due to infection,
such as gastrointestinal viral infection, or maybe because of other types of swelling.
In both cases, the bacteria can attack quickly,
causing appendix inflamed and filled with pus.
If not treated properly, the appendix can rupture.
Signs and Symptoms
2. Tenderness often is maximal at or near the McBurney point
3. Rovsing’s sign
4. Psoas sign Obturator sign
- Abdominal pain is the prime symptom of acute appendicitis
- Anorexia nearly always accompanies appendicitis
- Obstipation beginning before the onset of abdominal pain
Once the decision to operate for presumed acute appendicitis has been made,
the patient should be prepared for the operating room.
Adequate hydration should be ensured, electrolyte abnormalities should be corrected,
and pre-existing cardiac, pulmonary, and renal conditions should be addressed.
A large meta-analysis has demonstrated the efficacy of preoperative antibiotics in-
lowering the infectious complications in appendicitis. Most surgeons routinely
administer antibiotics to all patients with suspected appendicitis.
- Open appendetomy
- Laparoscopic appendetomy
- Eating fiber foods
- Do not hold back bowel movements
- Drinking enough water
- Maintain hygiene of the food eaten