What is meningitis ???
It is the inflammation of the membranes covering the BRAIN & SPINAL CORD –known as the Menigens.
Sign and Symptoms
- Fever, cold hand and feet
- Rapid breathing
- Refusing food and vomiting
- Drowsy, Unresponsive,
- Drowsy difficult to wake
- Severe Headache
- Stiff neck, dislike bright light
- Bulging frontanelle
Meningitis can be caused by BACTERIA or VIRUSES
Meningitis caused by bacteria is called ‘bacterial meningitis’.
1.meningococcal meningitis – caused by Neisseria meningitides
2.haemophilus (Hib) meningitis – caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b
3.pneumococcal meningitis – caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Prevention of bacterial meningitis
Haemophilus influenzae type b –
can be prevented with Hib immunization (on age – 2, 4, 6, and 15 month)
Pneumococcal – can be prevented types of pneumococcal vaccine ( PCV ) 2, 4, 6, and between 12 – 15 month.
Meningococcal group – can be prevented with vaccines.
Meningitis caused by a virus is called ‘viral meningitis’.Some of the viruses that can cause meningitis
What Happen after meningitis?
- severe case – permanent neurological damage, problem with coordination and
- movement or learning difficulties, Deafness is the most frequent severe after affect of menigitis.
- Septicaemia : scarring, amputation and organ damage
- Most of it is Death if not knowing early sign
DON’T IGNRONE The SIGN
Fever ? Headache ? Vomiting ? Sleepy ? Confused ?
Stiff Neck ? Dislike bright Lights ?
Rash ? Pale, Blotchy skin ?
Cold Hands & feet ? Limb Pain ?
M e n i g i t i s
Meningitis can kill in hours
It Could happen to anyone
It Could Happen to you